As part of the Maine Project Learning Tree (PLT) community, you’ll be equipped to infuse rich scientific concepts, current events, and authentic questions using PLT’s Focus on Forests and Climate Change modules.
Take learning further by connecting with the FERN Online Network. Store and share your FERN data, compare plots and communicate with other plot stewards and foresters across the state.
Join Maine PLT
A workshop with Maine Project Learning Tree will define, extend, and deepen the learning that’s already happening at your FERN plots.
Teachers use PLT lessons to put their FERN data collection efforts in a broader context, effectively tying to current issues like climate change and invasive species, and linking FERN to Next Generation Science Standards, the Common Core, National Social Studies Standards, and Excellence in EE Guidelines.
You can, too!
Every workshop participant gets the National PLT Focus on Forests high school module which includes activities that address concepts in biology, civics, ecology, economics, and forest management. Quality time spent connecting with like-minded educators, meeting forestry professionals, reflecting, and planning are consistent workshop highlights for all.
Connect with the Online FERN Network
While all the FERN data you collect is valuable whether it’s sent by mail or entered online, getting connected online has great benefits to you and your learners:
- A marker for your plot on the map of the biophysical region
- Online data entry
- Data storage
- A Plot Detail page with information about your plot and links to all of your data and photos
- Easy data download to Excel or Numbers
- Access to data from all other FERN plots for comparison studies and curiosities
- Online communication with other FERN stewards and students
Include in your request:
- Your name
- Your school/organization
- Your forester partner’s name
- Latitude & longitude of your plot in decimal degrees (XX.XXXX°)
- Town where your plot is
- Bioregion where your plot is